A logistics manager job basically involves handling of various processes that take part in the supply chain of industries, acting as a link between parties including number of suppliers providing raw work or materials to industries, retailers, consumers and with manufacturers. Logistics process is generally considered as "two-way process" with goods as return.
This sector is the second largest employment sector in the United States. It encompasses various activities that include warehousing, controlling inventory, transportation, materials handling, purchasing, strategic planning, and customer service. A logistics manager's job is to coordinate the processes to ensure smooth execution. Usually, there are many external factors that affect this profession such as the cost of fuel, legislation and conditions of the environment. Knowledge and awareness about these factors is mandatory.
The logistics field employs many people under its umbrella. Coordinating and regulating them is a difficult job. It is the logistics manager job to take necessary actions and employ important strategies to the work to fully satisfy the customer. He or she has many responsibilities that require many skills for a successful career in this industry.
The responsibilities of a logistics manager vary based on the industry the employing company is engaged in.; Service providing companies and retailers have different responsibilities designated to logistic managers. Below is a list of responsibilities given to a person in this position:
- Periodic monitoring of the quantity and quality of material, efficiency and cost involved in the movement and storing of material.
- When working with information systems, he or she should control and coordinate the order fulfillment process.
- Depending on various needs, he or she must be able to change or allocate the logistic team members.
- A logistics manager acts as a link between the supplier and the company he or she works for and the customer.
- A person in this position should work hard to obtain new business contracts. He or she must be able to resolve problems that arise during normal business operations.
- Should be able to motivate and encourage employees working under him to gain maximum benefits from the logistics team.
- Project management skills are a must in addition to logistics management skills.
- He or she must be able to communicate well and properly convey information to officials of the company, customers and vendors.
- Should be skilled with analytical and technical problems.
- The ability to management time skillfully and prioritize tasks is important.
- A logistics manager must be able to develop a documentation process and record all transactions related to the movement of goods and services provided.